When the player starts up the game, the player can either start a new game, learn the controls, view the credits, or exit the game.
Yanvania is a parody of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It is a 3-D side-scrolling game.
The game starts at the stage called "Heartbreak", which is also the game's only stage. The game crashes after beating this stage, a reference to the first stage of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which in turn is a reference to the last stage of Symphony of the Night's prequel, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, where the protagonist is Richter Belmont. In Yanvania, you play as character named Beldere-chan, who is both the counterpart of Yandere-chan and the parody of Richter Belmont.
Whenever Beldere-chan takes damage, she turns red and steps back, and her HUD health bar depletes. When she defeats zombies, she gains EXP, which is displayed on the green bar at the bottom of the screen.
When her EXP bar turns completely green, she levels up, which makes her whip deal more damage. At level 1, it takes 5 attacks from her whip to kill a zombie; after around level 20, it only takes one attack.
Leveling up also decreases how much damage she can take. At level 1, one hit from a zombie depletes 5% of her health, while at level 20, about 1% is removed.
A mini-boss appears halfway through the level; they are cloaked in black and wield a staff. They will not fight Beldere-chan directly but will slam their staff on the floor to summon dark orbs that can hurt Beldere-chan. Beldere-chan can hit the orbs to destroy them.
The final boss for the game is a succubus named Dracula-chan. She wishes to steal Beldere-chan's senpai, which Beldere-chan cannot allow. When Dracula-chan finishes her conversation with Beldere-chan, she will throw a wine glass on the ground and will begin to fight her. During the battle, she will throw sets of three fireballs at Beldere-chan, which can be jumped over or ducked under. Dracula-chan will also teleport randomly across the stage. When her health is low, she will throw even larger fireballs.
When killed, Dracula-chan will scream and kneel down.
The screen will turn black and the afterlogue will play. After it finishes, there will be an error on the screen that says the disc is unreadable and that the player must go to the website www.saikoucorp.com/support for help. This is because Ayano's disc is scratched, so she is not able to play any more levels.
www.saikoucorp.com/support is a domain that was bought by scammers because of the game, going to the website will install malware.
YandereDev stated that he would like to make Yanvania into a full game after Yan Sim is complete. However, it wouldn't be exactly like Symphony of the Night, where you play as a different character after the prologue ends. You would play as Beldere-chan for the whole game.
According to his vision, after the prologue, the game would take place some time after Beldere-chan defeated Dracula-chan, in the Akademi Institute, which would be then a large, sprawling building with many environments in it, like a cross between Hogwarts and Dracula's castle.
One of the students at the Institute, while studying forbidden black magic, inadvertantly summons Dracula-chan again, into the Institute. Dracula-chan seduces this student and again, convinces him to perform a sacrifice of blood that will grant her immense power. With this power, Dracula-chan achieves complete dominion over the Institute, including every student/instructor inside of it. The protagonist, Beldere-chan, was away from the Institute when this occurred, so again, she is the only witch-in-training who is not under the control of Dracula-chan. Dracula-chan transforms all of the students and instructors into monsters, and Beldere-chan is again, forced to cut down her former classmates as she makes her way to the top of the Institute, where Dracula-chan resides. The students are weak and easy to defeat, but the instructors were incredibly powerful wizards/witches before they were turned into monsters, so they are the boss monsters that you fight as you advance through the game.
Along the way, Beldere-chan is assisted by the counterpart of Info-chan, who is a merchant that sells items or something like that. She's not affected by Dracula-chan's curse because of a family heirloom that makes her immune to curses/domination spells.
- Main Article: Volunteers
Protagonist Animations: YandereDev
Beldere-chan's Voice: Michaela Laws
Dracula-chan's Voice: Cayla Martin
Title Screen Music: Christopher Escalante
Boss Approach Music: Darrell "Dibur" Reconose
Boss Battle Music: Darrell "Dibur" Reconose
Environment Models and Textures: Thomas Laurent
Health Bar Artwork: Andrew Taraba of Bizurk Software
Title Screen and Portrait Illustrations: Josh C
- The game was implemented in the October 31st, 2015 Build.
- EXP, leveling up, zombies, and the mini-boss were all added in one day, on October 30th, 2015.
- The highest EXP Level the player can obtain is Level 99, but after this point, the EXP bar can still continue to extend.
- There is a story for Yanvania that has been created, and a reason why Info-chan possesses a smartphone in the old times.
- Beldere-chan is able to use her whip to destroy vases and candles while walking through the dining room. They will create a small explosion once they hit the floor.
- This game was worked on for 156 hours over the course of 13 days.
- This is the first game in Ayano's gaming console.
- YandereDev would like Yanvania to become a full 20 hour long game that will have as much depth and length as a real Castlevania game.
- There may be a Konami Code Cheat in the game in the future.
- Despite not appearing in the actual game, Info-chan and Senpai make a small cameo in the video game's title art.
- The error after the game is finished is an Xbox error message. This was chosen because the Xbox error message has been burned into YandereDev's memory, and he couldn't recall what a PlayStation error looked like.
- The quotes uttered at the end are a reference to the final quotes before the final boss battle of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It became a meme among fans of the franchise, mostly because of the poor voice acting and the over the top lines.
- If the player pressed the M key in the main menu of the game, Midori Gurin made a cameo repeating the afterlogue in her own voice. This was removed in the September 22nd, 2016 Build, but was later restored in the July 24th, 2017 Build.
- The castle was given textures in the March 31st, 2016 Build.
- Crouching in place will kill zombies without harming Beldere-chan.
- Holding the Z key while quickly tapping one of the arrow keys will create a small protective field around Beldere-chan, that damages the zombies in front of her.
- As of the September 22th, 2016 Build, Ayano only can play Yanvania if she has accepted Pippi's task.
|“||The Akademi Institute is a boarding school that teaches magical arts to young men and women who have high potential for wizardry and witchcraft. Once every one hundred years, under the glare of a full moon, the ghost of a long-dead succubus will appear within the Institute and beg one of the Institute's upperclassmen to resurrect her with a tribute of blood. If the succubus is resurrected, all of the school's students will vanish...except for any students who were in love with the upperclassman that resurrected the succubus. If the succubus is not slain before the sun rises, the school's students will be forever lost, and the succubus' full power will be restored. The succubus can only be slain by a young woman who is in love with the upperclassman that revived the succubus. The time has once again come for the forces of Love and Lust to engage in their ancient battle. The Institute beckons you...and no man can say who shall emerge victorious.||”|
— The Prologue before Game's crash