|Role|| Love Interest|
Gardening Club (until 9/18/15)
Taro Yamada is the Japanese equivalent of "John Doe". John Doe can refer to a hypothetical person whose real identity is unknown. If Senpai is female, her name will be Taeko Yamada.
Name ”Taro” is literally writing タロウ, but by other kanji, like 多朗, it can mean "many bright". However, they are also other kanji for this name, like 太郎 means "large son", 立楼 means "standing tower", or 汰滝 means "selected waterfall".
Name ”Taeko” is literally writing タエコ, but by other kanji, like 多恵子, it can means "many blessing child". However, they are also other kanji for this name, like 妙子 means "wonderful child".
Senpai's name will never be spoken aloud, but it will appear in the Student Info screen and on in-game social media. The player may be able to pick Senpai's name in a future build. In the official game, the player will be able to choose Senpai's gender. However, Senpai's original gender is male; therefore, the article will refer to him as such.
- Main Article: Intros
In the first intro cutscene, he was first seen in Ayano's dream, where the player can customize him. The next morning, Ayano, who was late to school, bumps into him and immediately becomes obsessed with him. Senpai, however, doesn't know this and will accept the love confession of any girl who chooses to do so. Right after he meets Ayano, he is scolded by Osana Najimi and they walk the rest of the way to school together, with a lamenting Ayano watching from afar. Info-chan watches the entire scene from behind them.
In the second intro, Senpai is not seen outside of customization. However, Info-chan calls Ayano out on stalking an upperclassman and tells her that the girl he was with is named Osana Najimi. Osana Najimi is Senpai’s childhood friend.
Appearance (Default Look)
Senpai, with his default look, has short, messy dark hair, charcoal grey eyes, light skin, and the default male school uniform with gold buttons and black cloth. This is his default look because he is meant to look like a generic male anime protagonist.
Upon starting the game, the player can customize his skin tone, hairstyle, hair color, eye color, eyewear, and facial hair, but if no changes are made or the process is skipped, Senpai will appear with his default look. Senpai is the same height as every other male student in the game so that all animations can link up. If possible, YandereDev would want Senpai to be slightly taller. His gender can be changed in the final game. YandereDev might release Senpai's textures and put them in the Streaming Assets folder so that the player can make custom skins for Senpai.
He is the only character highlighted pink in Yandere Vision.
“The Japanese word "senpai" refers to someone who has seniority over someone else. For example, if you are a first-year student, all second-year and third-year students are your "senpai". If you start working at a new job, any co-worker who has been employed at the workplace longer than you is your "senpai".
In Yandere Simulator, the title of "Senpai" is given to the young man (or young woman) that the protagonist is infatuated with. The player is given the option of choosing Senpai's gender at the beginning of the game; they might be "Senpai-kun", or they might be "Senpai-chan". If Senpai is a male, his name is Taro Yamada, and if she is a female, her name is Taeko Yamada.
Over the course of the school year, ten different girls will fall in love with Senpai. There is a myth at school that if a girl confesses her love to a boy under the cherry tree behind the school on a Friday, the two of them will love each other forever. Every girl who falls in love with Senpai plans to confess at 6:00 PM on Friday. If there is anyone who wants to keep Senpai all to herself, she has until 6:00 PM on Friday to eliminate the competition.”
The first intro portrays Senpai as kind and considerate. He helps Ayano up after he bumps into her and is seemingly friendly.  He doesn't resent Osana Najimi for her hostility toward him and just follows her orders.
Senpai may also be somewhat of a pushover; he doesn't protest Osana's rude behavior and will accept any confession he receives (except Osana's if sabotaged), which is why Ayano must eliminate her rivals before they confess.
The second intro's Senpai isn't characterized nearly as much as the first. His personality is never mentioned by Ayano or Info-chan. He still accepts the confession of any rival with a good enough reputation (unless he is on bad terms with Osana from Ayano's sabotage), which might imply that he's still rather meek. However, this could be because he's on good terms with all the rivals.
His personality will be shaped and molded by the way that people around him are disappearing.
- If the rivals are paired off with suitors, Senpai will think that he is not as appealing as other boys.
- If rivals mysteriously stop coming to school, then he will assume all girls are delinquents who skip school.
- If rivals show up dead shortly after they talk to him, Senpai will wonder if he is cursed.
- If Senpai has to reject many rivals because he can't get along with any girl he meets, then he will worry that he will never find a partner.
- If rivals are all framed, Senpai will wonder if all women are murderers.
Depending on Ayano's actions, Senpai might develop PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), a personality complex, a nervous disorder, or social anxieties.
He seems oblivious to Kokona's affections, judging by how she laments that he never notices her feelings when talking about him. Senpai never seems to realize why Ayano follows him around and only asks her to leave him alone if she gets too close.
He is a loner who enjoys nature more than the company of people. Though an introvert, he does not seem to be shy. Senpai is not popular in the beginning, although girls will fall in love with him over the course of the game. Some popular people might even notice him. He is normally gentle and prefers solitude, but would feel enraged upon witnessing a masked killer, and unmask them without regard for his own safety.
He is an average male student who gets average grades.
A backstory has never been fully written for Senpai. He is meant to be plain and average.
In the original intro, Osana Najimi was his childhood friend. They have apparently known each other for a decade.
The reason Senpai is so popular is because he sat in the "Main Character Chair". From that moment on, his fate and destiny were set in stone.
Senpai has a younger sister, whose gender will not change if there is a female Senpai. Senpai's parents look very ordinary. His father looks like an older version of him, and his mother looks as plain as he does. If they suspected he was in danger, they would move town for him.
Info-chan cannot dig up any dark secrets about Senpai because he apparently has no dark secrets at all.
At 7:05 AM, Senpai enters the school grounds. He walks to his locker at 7:10 AM and changes from his outdoor shoes to his indoor shoes. At 7:15 AM, he walks to the fountain and sits on its edge, reading a book. He does not socialize with the other students, other than Osana.
At 8:00 AM, Senpai walks into Classroom 3-2 and sits at his desk. He starts his morning classes at 8:30 AM, and leaves to go to the rooftop to eat his bento at 1:00 PM. On Wednesday, Kokona Haruka watches him from behind a tree.
Senpai walks to class again at 1:30 PM and finishes his afternoon classes at 3:30 PM. Afterward, he will remain reading at the fountain until the school day ends. No matter what time the player chooses to leave school, Ayano always watches him go home until he arrives at his house safely.
Senpai is more similar to a "moving obstacle" rather than a regular interactive student. If a small town is added, it's possible there may be a "date gameplay" mechanic.
Staying near Senpai will cause Ayano's heart to beat loudly and the screen to turn pink. Ayano will drop anything she's currently holding, keeping her hands to her chest. She cannot do anything besides walk slowly when she is near him. Entering this zone will help her recover lost sanity. However, the longer she remains in his aura, the weirder she acts in front of him, going from shyness to watching him creepily. If Ayano stands in Senpai's line of sight for too long, he will get slightly freaked out and a bit concerned. If this happens five times in one day, he will express that she is causing him to feel afraid, causing Ayano to become heartbroken and trigger a Game Over. If Ayano is in the Occult Club or plays the "Stealth" game in the computer lab, she can then stay in Senpai's aura for longer without being noticed. Wearing a mask prevents the Game Over entirely.
If he sees Ayano performing suspicious actions such as holding a weapon, dragging a corpse, having low sanity, being covered in blood, killing a person or taking a panty shot, it will trigger an immediate Game Over as well.
Senpai is a Loner. When he sees a corpse, bloodstains, suspicious weapons or limbs, he will run out of the school grounds. This can be useful to know if you want to get rid of Senpai early in the day, as he has a unique reaction to murder that makes him a significant obstacle. If Ayano commits murder in his field of view, it will cause an instant "Heartbroken" Game Over. If Ayano commits murder in his field of view while wearing a mask, he will disregard his safety and rip Ayano's mask off her face, causing another "Heartbroken" Game Over.
Senpai will have a hidden sanity variable that will influence some of the game's endings and might influence his everyday behavior.
Normally he cannot be killed like a normal student due to his aura. Certain Easter Eggs can still kill him, but he will respawn the next day.
- Main Article: Rivals
In the full game, Senpai will be on good terms with all the rivals so he won't suspect them of any crimes even if he sees them covered in blood. If there is "evidence" against a rival, however, he will be unable to stop them from getting arrested.
- Main Article: Osana Najimi
YandereDev has not revealed why Senpai chooses to spend time with Osana, despite her treatment of him. After she is eliminated, there may be a cutscene showing how Senpai is handling the situation.
- Main Article: Hanako Yamada
She and Senpai are brother and sister. If Hanako ever got a boyfriend, Senpai would be sad that he is no longer the center of her world, however, he would be happy that she is finally independent from him in a bittersweet way.
If she is killed, Senpai's sanity variable will greatly decrease.
At the end of Hanako's week, she will force her brother to agree that he'll never get a girlfriend. If Senpai rejects her, he will give her a "tough love" speech about not being so clingy and needy and depending on him for everything.
- Main Article: Kizana Sunobu
Senpai considers Kizana a bit bossy but is impressed by her passion for acting and is flattered by what she thinks of him.
- Main Article: Uekiya Engeika
If none of the rivals ended up affecting Senpai's love life, he would likely enter a relationship with Uekiya, since the Gardening Club is the one club that he actually ever seriously considered joining.
- Main Article: Nemesis
On August 1st, 2019, Yandere Dev released a manga about the backstory of Nemesis. The comic was about how Nemesis was trying to find the person who killed her brother, Taro. That's why she is hunting Ayano. This caused speculation that Nemesis is Hanako in an alternate universe.
The topics towards Taro is Negative/Neutral/Positive follows:
- Video Games
- Everything else.
- Senpai wrote a book, How to Hentai without Hentaing, seen in the May 7th, 2015 Build. This object was later removed; YandereDev has since declared it non-canon.
- The book was reintroduced with a different cover in the December 16th, 2016 Build. It can be found inside the safe, which can be opened with a key during Mission Mode.
- Senpai's voice lines for the poisoning event, as shown in "How to poison a girl in Yandere Simulator", were not in the actual game.
- The character model that was used to make Senpai is available in the Unity Assets store under the name Taichi Hayami.
- In the future, it will be possible to steal Senpai's clothes and shoes from the gym. YandereDev has said that the game mechanic of stealing items from Senpai for the Senpai Shrine has been planned since its implementation.
- In Japanese, senpai (先輩) means upperclassman.
- The only way to kill Senpai is to use unconventional methods, such as Easter Egg modes. However, it will have no effect on the end of the day, and the ending words still say that Ayano sees Senpai walk back home (unharmed). Senpai will respawn the next day.
- There are 25,000 different combinations of customization options for Senpai - 150,000 different combinations if Senpai is in a customized uniform.
- Senpai has never bought a panty shot from Info-chan.
- Senpai has an unnamed career path that has not been revealed yet.
- Senpai can probably cook a few simple meals.
- On Akademi High School's Facebook page (Kaobook), there was originally a post made by Senpai asking how old the sakura trees are. Later it was changed so that Sakyu Basu posted it.
- Senpai's birthday might be the same as Ayano's birthday, April 1st.
- On December 23rd, 2015, YandereDev posted a comic created by Achromatic, which joked about what would happen if Senpai was allergic to cats. If Senpai was ever allergic to cats, Ayano would kill her own beloved cat for him. However, Senpai being allergic to cats is not necessarily canon yet. The comic can be viewed on YandereDev's website.
- There was an old idea of breaking into Senpai's house, but it depends on whether or not there will be a small town in the game.
- YandereDev states that Ayano could possibly go on a date with Senpai if a small town was added.
- In the February 17th, 2016 Build, Senpai was shown in his student profile as darker skinned, blond with spiky hair, and wearing shades. He was made to look that way because YandereDev was testing out new customization features and forgot to reset him.
- Senpai did not have a voiced line for reacting to Ayano taking panty shots until the March 31st, 2016 Build.
- Senpai doesn't appear in Mission Mode.
- If too many girls die or go missing immediately after meeting Senpai, rumors may spread that he is a serial killer. 
- Senpai's lines will be affected by the elimination method used on the rivals.
- He and Osana attended the same middle school.
- Senpai will not react to the player aiming the camera at him.
|“||Are you...okay?/Can I...help you?/Is something...wrong?/I'm...a little concerned...||”|
— Senpai if Ayano is near him for too long.
|“||Um, excuse me! Would you please stop doing that? You're scaring me!||”|
— Senpai after Ayano harasses him five times.
|“||What the hell is wrong with you?! Get away from me!||”|
— Senpai after seeing Ayano visibly insane/laughing maniacally/possessed by the Pain Demon.
|“||Why do you have a weapon? What are you going to do with that thing?! Stay back!||”|
— Senpai after seeing Ayano visibly armed.
|“||Why do you have so much blood on you? Did you hurt somebody?||”|
— Senpai after seeing Ayano covered in blood.
|“||You killed them! Stay back! Get away from me!/What have you DONE?! You MONSTER!/Oh my god! You just MURDERED someone!/How could you do that?! Do you realize what you've just done?!/This can't be happening! Somebody, help! HELP!||”|
— Senpai after seeing Ayano murder someone or near a dead body.
|“||What the hell are you doing? That's horrible! Stop it, you creep!||”|
— Senpai after seeing Ayano taking panty shots.
|“||Does anyone know how old the school's sakura trees are?||”|
— Senpai on the internet.
|“|| Wow! This is delicious!|
Yeah! It's great!
Hmm? What was that?
— Senpai in "January Osana Progress Report - Part 1".
|“|| Ugh... what did you put in this?!|
My stomach... really hurts all of a sudden!
I'm sorry... I can't finish it! I have to go!
— Senpai in "January Osana Progress Report - Part 1".
|“|| What's this?|
You made me lunch?
Oh...cool! Thanks a lot!
— Senpai in "January Osana Progress Report - Part 2".
|“||Osana? Are you okay? What's wrong hey?! Do you need any help? Osana! Oh my god! Osana, answer me! Wake up, please wake up! Don't do this! Oh god, this can't be happening! No!||”|
— Senpai in "January Osana Progress Report - Part 2".
|“||What's wrong with you?! Stop it! This is no place for violence!||”|
— Senpai after seeing Ayano starting a fight with a delinquent.