She presents a "lethal enemy" to Ayano.
"'Mission Mode' takes place in a separate timeline from the main game. In Mission Mode, you play as a young female assassin who has been contracted to kill a student at school. However, you aren't the only killer at school...
Nemesis is a character who attempts to hunt and kill you during Mission Mode. It is impossible to kill her with a frontal attack; if you want to kill her, you need to approach her from behind. If you run, she will hear your footsteps, so you must be very careful and quiet if you wish to sneak up on her. Depending on what difficulty level you have chosen, Nemesis might be invincible, and might also be disguised as one of the female students.
So, just who is Nemesis? Is she a bodyguard hired to protect the student that you're after? Is she a vigilante who has made it her mission to stop you? Is she another assassin who wants to remove her competition? Or, true to her namesake - the Greek goddess of retribution - is she here to take revenge on the protagonist for the sins of her past? For now, it's a complete mystery..."
As of August 1st, 2019, it was revealed that Nemesis is Taro Yamada's younger sister, Hanako Yamada, in the Mission Mode timeline. In this timeline, Taro was Ayano Aishi's first target she assassinated, and Hanako swore to punish her brother's killer.
She wears the default female school uniform for Mission Mode, which is the fifth female uniform available.
Nemesis has pale skin, rounded straight black hair, and thin red eyes. Her fists are always clenched and she wears black gloves. She used to have spiky wavy hair, similar to Oka Ruto's hair, which changed into a bowl haircut. This is her third hair style.
If the player chooses to have Nemesis disguised, she will take on the appearance of a random, non-Club Leader female student while entering Akademi.
YandereDev pictures Nemesis wearing a very grim and serious facial expression at all times, and being very emotionless and solemn. In almost any situation, she would have a deadpan look on her face. However, the moment she goes in for the kill, her expression may change to reveal her true nature.
She only appears if enabled in Mission Mode. At 7:00 AM, Nemesis will spawn randomly inside the school and will start wandering around the school corridors and courtyard, searching endlessly for Ayano. If disguised, she will enter the school grounds as a female student, but will turn hostile after changing her shoes at the lockers.
When noticing Ayano, she will break her routine and start following Ayano in an attempt to kill her with a knife. If aggressive, Nemesis will always run to Ayano every time she sees her. Her running speed is faster than most students, although Ayano can still outrun her. Since Nemesis runs very quickly, it is quite difficult to make Nemesis lose track of the other.
She does not go to class, since she patrols the school in search of any suspicious student that may be skipping classes to plot some form of murder.
If the player opens up the Horror Prototype by using "F2" in the Easter Egg menu, the school will be set at the lowest atmosphere. Nemesis, like in Mission Mode, will spawn randomly in the school, looking for Ayano. She will not be disguised as a female student.
- Pointing the camera at Nemesis when she kills Ayano will clip her face through the camera with the game over text overlapping.
- Nemesis will spin in circles if led onto the running track.
- The bug no longer exists as the school environment has been shrunk.
- Nemesis will spin in circles if Ayano is standing in front of a hiding spot.
- Nemesis cannot be cauterized or dismembered.
- Under certain conditions, Nemesis will stand still.
- When on a mission, Ayano may specifically not be permitted to kill her.
- She was implemented in the December 16th, 2016 Build.
- She can only be killed from behind.
- She is able to hear Ayano's footsteps whenever she is running, so Ayano must walk, crouch or crawl in order to kill her.
- If the player sends Info-chan a photo of her, she will respond with, "Strange. I have no profile for this student."
- For the 2nd time, she will respond with, "...wait. I think I know who she is."
- For the 3rd time, she will respond with, "You are in danger. Avoid her."
- For the 4th time, she will respond with, "Do not engage."
- For the 5th time and beyond, she will respond with, "I repeat: Do. Not. Engage."
- If she is disguised as a female student, Info-chan will respond with, "Something about that student seems...wrong."
- When sending a picture of her panties, Info-chan will respond with, "Wait...I recognize those panties! This person is extremely dangerous! Avoid her at all costs!"
- She is the only character that can kill Ayano.
- When she was first introduced, she was referred to as 'Nemesis-chan'. YandereDev has since confirmed that her official name is 'Nemesis'. He chose this because he thought the name 'Nemesis' sounded far more ominous.
- "Nemesis" is the name of the Greek goddess of revenge and divine retribution and the word for one’s arch-enemy.
- YandereDev imagines that, when she is disguised as a student, the original student was knocked out and stuffed into a container on her way to school.
- It is possible that she wields a ceramic knife in order to not be detected by the metal detector, if the school for any case has the detectors active.
- On his blog, YandereDev has decided to change her current hairstyle, as the artist of the illustration he took inspiration from was uncomfortable with how similar the current Nemesis and her illustration was.
- As of the January 16th, 2017 Build, her hairstyle is now the third option that fans voted for.
- Her temporary hair model was the 'Bobcat' hairstyle without the tufts.
- If a Student Council is the person who she disguised as, she will be simple to spot. She won't look at you if you get too close to her, her idles will not be used, and she will keep on walking if Ayano's phone is pointing at her.
- While she is aggressive, she runs the same way as in Enigma mode, one of the Easter Eggs, or as more commonly known, the "Naruto Run."
- She stops moving when Pose Mode menu is opened in Horror Prototype Mode.