|Crush|| None (Since 2/3/19)
?????? (11/15/15 – 2/2/19)
|Appears||Week 1 (Debug)|
Mai is the fifth student to be introduced as an Easter Egg.
Her first look had pink hair that was a recolor of Sakyu Basu's hair but longer, reaching down to her hips. Mai's eyes were the same shade of pink as her hair. She had a very large bust size, the same size as Kokona's, set at 2.
As of the January 1st, 2016 Build, her hairstyle went below her knees. On her left and right side, she had more hair, but most of it went to her elbow. The rest closed in on her chin. Her bangs were cut short and met together in the middle. Her bust size had been decreased to 1 so her hair couldn't clip through her breasts.
As of the February 8th, 2016 Build, her hairstyle was of average length and was magenta. Her hair became longer and her bust size increased to its original size of 2 as of the February 15th, 2016 Build.
As of the February 17th, 2016 Build, her eyes now gradually change their color, cycling through every color of the rainbow, every moment of the day.
In the September 1st, 2017 Build, Mai's eyes were slightly slanted downwards. Her eyes would only take this appearance while she was wearing the default uniform. On September 2nd, 2017, her eyes were changed back due to problems with her model.
In the February 2nd, 2018 Build, her new eye shape had been restored but as of the February 3rd, 2018 Build, they were reverted back once again, as they caused too many bugs.
In the April 26th, 2018 Build, her hair is now pastel pink.
In the August 18th, 2018 Build, she has a red bow.
Among the personas currently implemented in the game, she is a Phone Addict. She will happily pose for a picture if Ayano aims her phone at her. If she sees a corpse or witnesses a murder, she will snap a picture with her Phone and will text it to the police. While she is doing this, she will run out of the school. She cannot participate in physical fights against murderers.
According to her Student Profile, she is pursuing an "anime aesthetic". In order to achieve this, she never cuts her hair, wears special contact lenses and asks people to refer to her by a nickname that is inspired in otaku culture.
Mai's default reputation is +17.
As of the August 18th, 2018 Build, Mai enters the school grounds at 7:05 AM. She walks to her locker at 7:10 AM and changes from her outdoor shoes to her indoor shoes. At 7:15 AM, Mai plays an augmented reality game with Midori Gurin, Ryuto Ippongo, and Pippi Osu.
Mai walks back to class again at 1:30 PM and participates in cleaning time between 3:30 PM and 4:00 PM. Afterwards, she continues playing the augmented reality game until the end of the day.
Independent Game Developer
In her previous description, it was stated that she "has sworn her heart to an independent game developer living overseas", and "prefers to spend her time alone, daydreaming about her loved one". In her description, it was also stated that she is described as "deredere" by her admirers, so most likely that would be her attitude towards him.
As was mentioned earlier, in her previous description, it was stated that she is described as "deredere", and also as "kawaii" and "moe" by her admirers.
The topics towards Mai are (Negative/Positive/Neutral) as follows:
- Video games
- Everything else.
- If Mai is kidnapped, one of her eyes will be grey, while the other will continue cycling through the rainbow.
- Info-chan will register her panty shot, even if her hair is in the way.
- She was implemented in the November 15th, 2015 Build.
- The game's warning referred to Mai, saying that the game contains "busty pink-haired schoolgirls". This warning was later removed because YandereDev said that it was "cringey".
- Mai has many admirers, but no stalkers.
- She resembles YandereDev's "appearance" on Twitter, where he described himself as a sixteen-year-old Japanese schoolgirl with pink hair, large breasts, and rainbow eyes.
- Her name is a pun on the Japanese phrase "mai waifu" (マイ ワイフ), a term adopted from the English "my wife". Some Japanese husbands will refer to their wife as "mai waifu". When used in Western cultures, "waifu" means a person's favorite anime or manga character who is female.
- Mai Waifu and Midori Gurin's Student Profiles were not updated to match their second and third hairstyles given to them in the January 1st, 2016 Build; however, this was updated in the January 15th, 2016.
- Mai Waifu makes a small cameo in the Gaming Club's stealth game, being stalked by Oka.
- If K is pressed at the debug menu, Mai will appear as a mindslave instead of Musume.
- Mai may become a distraction for male students in the future.
- In LoveSick Mode, Mai's name is changed to Mai Wakabayashi.
- "Wakabayashi" means "Young Forest" in Japanese.
- YandereDev thinks that Akane Toriyasu has more admirers than her. 
- Mai might be removed from the Gaming Club in order to make the Gaming Club have 3 males and 2 females.
- YandereDev has also considered changing Mai into a male to maintain the gender balance at school.
- If an 'Anime and Gaming' club were implemented, she would potentially be the president.
- Mai appears as a painting in the Art Club, likely due to her being considered beautiful by many students.
- She would have held the title of the character who has had the most hair updates in-game due to her having six.
- Her panty shots/panties are valuable since she is one of the prettiest girls in the school.
- Her parents don't mind what she's doing with her hair, but they think her anime character dream is ridiculous and hope she'll grow out of it.
- Her favorite food is strawberries.
- If she had a voice, it'd be a very feminine voice with a friendly and cheerful tone.
- Mai's hair color is dyed. Her real hair color is something more mundane like black or brown.
- In Lovesick Mode, she is replaced by Mai Wakabayashi. Everything about her would be the same, except her last name.
- In a blog post, YandereDev said that she is a candidate for deletion. It is unknown if she will actually get removed or if she will stay, if she got removed, she might appear in 1980’s Mode or be gone forever.