If an NPC with the Coward persona witnesses Ayano Aishi commit murder, they'll be shocked for about five seconds. These five seconds can be used to kill the student before they run. If Ayano wears the Cute Bear Panties, any coward that has seen her commit the crime will be shocked for seven seconds instead. All Cowards are incapable of self-defense.
After their shock has passed, the student will become terrified of her. Cowardly students will start begging Ayano to spare their life in exchange for their silence. After they finish begging, they will flee school grounds, but not call the police.
The next day, the Coward will be too afraid to talk to Ayano, making it impossible to interact with them. Coward witnesses will not damage the player's reputation if left alive, as they are too afraid to tell anyone what the player did.
As of the June 1st, 2019 build, students can get Ayano arrested if at least five of them witness Ayano commit murder and tell the police. Cowards will not tell the police if they witness murder.
If a Coward discovers a corpse, they will flee the school and call the police, triggering the police timer.
If the player tries to take a picture of them, they will hide their faces from the camera. If Ayano is in the Photography Club, they will instead simply stand still.
It may be possible that in the future, if a Coward sees murder, they will flee and lock themselves in a storage room. The only way to kill the Coward then would be to break the lock beforehand or break down the door.
- This persona was implemented in the February 1st, 2016 Build.
- As of the September 2nd, 2017 Build, there are now male cowards.
- One of the possible names for this persona was "Fragile". It was, however, changed to Coward, and Fragile is now its own persona.
- In the future, if a person with the Coward persona is in the same club as the protagonist, they will not kick her out after witnessing her being connected to murder.
- The Loner persona was once named "Coward". The original Coward persona ran home alone after witnessing a murder and called the police. YandereDev later gave the name "Coward" to those who begged for mercy when witnessing a murder and made those who ran home alone "Loners".
- YandereDev is considering having Cowards run and hide in closets, making it impossible to eliminate them as witnesses unless a key is found.
|“||I swear I won't tell anyone what I saw! Just please, don't hurt me!||”|
— When witnessing murder
|“||I haven't told anyone what I saw...please...just leave me alone...||”|
— Trying to talk to a Coward the next day.
|“||Go away!/Don't bother me!/Leave me alone!||”|
— Trying to talk to a Coward again.
|“||Oh, um...thanks... I think?||”|
— When complimented while Ayano has a low reputation.
|“||D-do you really mean it? Um... thank you!||”|
— When complimented while Ayano has an average reputation.
|“||Aw, you really think so? Th-thanks!||”|
— When complimented while Ayano has a high reputation.